Chicken with Coconut and Rice Xmas Recipe from Madagascar
The recipe below is of chicken with coconut and rice which is commonly known as Akoho sy voanio in Madagascar.
The meal is very popular in Madagascar and is mostly prepared during special occasions like Christmas.
Although the meal is originally from Madagascar, Akoho sy voanio is prepared around the world.
The recipe might be made up of simple ingredients, but the taste is very delicious.
Ingredients: (serves four)
- Full chicken
- 1 piece of coconut
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- A piece of ginger
- Salt and pepper
- A little oil
- Some rice
Cut down the coconut on a piece of cloth. Wrap the cloth around the pieces of coconut. Deep the cloth inside a bowl of warm or hot water.
Squeeze the pieces of coconut in order to produce coconut milk (you can use canned coconut milk).
- Cut the chicken into pieces and season the pieces with salt and pepper.
- Peel and carefully chop the ginger, onions, and garlic.
- Cut the tomatoes, onions, ginger, and garlic into smalls cubes.
- Lightly fry the tomatoes, ginger, onions, and garlic in a pan.
- Pour the coconut milk and let it cook at low heat for about thirty minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces into the mixture and let it cook for fifteen minutes.
- Put rice into a pot and add water until the water completely covers the rice.
- Heat the mixture of water and rice until the rice bakes, wait until the rice reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve with salad.
Learn More With the Help of Video
Apart from Akoho Misy Sakamalao, this is another recipe from Madagascar. This recipe shared on this page has coconut as an ingredient, while Akoho Misy Sakamalao doesn’t use coconut in any form.
I have also added a video above from YouTube which guides you in cooking this dish for Christmas.
Word Cloud for Akoho sy voanio
The following is a collection of the most used terms in this article on Akoho sy voanio. This should help in recalling related terms as used in this article at a later stage for you.