Very few people know what it is like to taste traditional mincemeat, this sweet dish dates back to the early eleventh century.
Now a worldwide holiday tradition, mincemeat is now a popular dessert served up after Christmas dinner.
This recipe makes up to three pounds of scrumptious mincemeat.
- Sixteen ounces (250 grams) cooking apples, finely chopped and cored (peeling is optional)
- Eight ounces (225 grams) shredded suet
- Twelve ounces (350 grams) California raisins
- Eight ounces (225 grams) sultanas (white seedless grapes)
- Eight ounces (225 grams) currants
- Eight ounces (225 grams) mixed candied (finely chopped and peeled)
- Twelve ounces (350 grams) dark brown sugar (soft)
- Medium-sized lemon and orange, juiced and grated
- Two ounces (50 grams) of whole almond nuts (slivered)
- Two tsp ground spice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground cinnamon and grated nutmeg
- Three tbsp brandy
Mix together all of your ingredients in a large mixing container/bowl, blending thoroughly together.
Next, cover up the bowl with a fresh towel and cool overnight or for twelve hours minimum, allowing time for flavors to seep within one another.
Preheat oven to 225 degrees, using foil to lightly cover the mixing bowl, put into your oven for three hours.
Take out of the oven and allow to cool on your kitchen countertop.
Don’t be alarmed it the mincemeat looks a bit odd, this is quite normal!
Make sure to stir it occasionally during the cooling process, ensuring fat coagulation.
Once mincemeat has cooled down, you can now add the brandy.
Scoop out and place in clean packing jars with wax protectors and tight sealing lids.
Put into a cool darkened area that’s free of any lighting. Keep packed away for one year, yet it’s best served up fresh!.
Side Note: For those of you who are vegans or vegetarians, try using veggie suet in place of meat!
Learn More With the Help of Video
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Mincemeat Christmas Recipe
Mincemeat comes in the main course part of Christmas food. Just like Mince pies, Mincemeat is popular.
The flavor added by the use of Cinamon and Nutmeg makes the dish so delicious and mouth-watering.
If I am cooking it for Christmas then I make sure to cook a large portion as all my guests always love to grab this one in their plates.
Word Cloud for Mincemeat Christmas Recipe
The following is a collection of the most used terms in this article on Mincemeat Christmas Recipe. This should help in recalling related terms as used in this article at a later stage for you.